Week 2: Art + Math



Reading about the formal intersection between math and art is fascinating. I have always been interested in graphic design, and as someone who had considered a major in math in my first year at UCLA, I have always considered whether it was possible to combine the two disciplines.

As described in Edwin A. Abbott’s Flatland piece, the characters are all polygons or shapes that fill up a multi-dimensional space, and this approach to thinking about characters and fiction through shapes brings a different perspective on logic and our ability to understand the world. Additionally, much of art perspectives depend on vanishing points, which are determined by geometry. Thinking about art in this way pushed my perspective on art by appreciating the logical thought process that follows art pieces.


Simon Beck is an artist who draws diagrams in the snow based off of mathematical patterns. As a mapmaker, he is familiar with geometric patterns, and is able to make (large!) stunning art by repeating certain mathematical formations using his compass and shoes. I have never thought about using mathematical formulas to create art before – it is difficult for me to connect the complexity of mathematical rules and formulas to its beauty that Beck was able to manifest through snow art.

Learning about the foundation of art pieces and their roots in mathematical composition leads me to think differently about mathematical expression and art in general. Visualizing the world and understanding that much of the art that I enjoy and the everyday objects that I use are based in some form of mathematical foundation makes me more curious to understand how new products are created. As someone who is interested in the technology and product industry, having a stable understanding of these foundations would be helpful in pitching new product ideas and recognizing the feasibility of the ideas.

The juxtaposition of art, science, and mathematics lies in the seemingly disconnecting foundations of each discipline. Art is visual, science is technical, and mathematics is logical, but when all these disciplines are combined, the perspectives of the world are changed and the mundane objects, art, and everyday experiences seem to have a more powerful meaning.

Sources:

“Scientist of the Day - Edwin Abbott Abbott.” Scientist of the Day - Edwin Abbott Abbott, 2016, www.lindahall.org/edwin-abbott-abbott/.
Abbott, Edwin Abbott, 1838-1926. Flatland: a Romance of Many Dimensions. New York :Dover 
Publications, 19531952. Print.
Bellos, Alex. “Simon Beck's Astonishing Landscape and Snow Art Illustrates the Cold Beauty of Mathematics – in Pictures.” The Guardian, 6 Nov. 2014, www.theguardian.com/science/alexs-adventures-in-numberland/gallery/2014/nov/06/simon-becks-snow-art-landscapes-mathematical-designs-drawings-alps.
Frantz, Marc, and Annalisa Crannell. Viewpoints: Mathematical Perspective and Fractal Geometry in Art. Princeton University Press, 2012.
Reiger, Christopher. “Art + Science = Magic (Or Not?).” Art Practical, Art Practical, 29 Oct. 2015, www.artpractical.com/feature/art-science-magic-or-not/.
Vesna, Victoria. “Mathematics-pt1-ZeroPerspectiveGoldenMean.mov.” YouTube, YouTube, 9 Apr. 2012, Mathematics-pt1-ZeroPerspectiveGoldenMean.mov.
Walsh, Lorraine. “2/02 ~ Math and Art.” 2/02 ~ Math and Art, 2016, you.stonybrook.edu/whereartandsciencemeet/2016/01/22/202-math-and-art/.

Comments

  1. Hello! I really enjoyed the little part you wrote about Simon Beck making snow patterns with geometry. It was pretty cool think think about how he calculates everything before starting and kind of "trusts" the math to give him a stunning picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I really enjoyed reading your blog on this topic. It's so fascinating to see how creative artists truly are. Who knew you could make such an intricate desgin with your shoe in the SNOW! I have always been interested in art, but have never been very good at. I envy people who have this natural talent!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts